So, you want the deets? Check it all out below! My first recap will be up on Sunday, July 24. Each recap will then appear in between Cassidy’s recaps of the other great Netflix series, Sense8, every Sunday and Thursday for the next four weeks.
“A love letter to the ’80s supernatural classics that captivated a generation, Stranger Things is set in 1983 Indiana, where a young boy vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving topsecret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.”
Winona Ryder as Joyce Byers
David Harbour as Chief Jim Hooper
Matthew Modine as Dr. Brenner
Finn Wolfhard as Mike Wheeler
Natalia Dyer as Nancy Wheeler
Cara Buono as Karen Wheeler
Charlie Heaton as Jonathan Byers
Noah Schnapp as Will Byers
Millie Brown as Eleven
Caleb McLaughlin and Lucas Sinclair
Gaten Matarazzo as Dustin Henderson
- Before starting the show, the writers all watched (or rewatched) a large list of films, including E.T., Stand By Me, The Goonies, The Thing, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.
- The Duffers had all the boys audition with scenes from Stand By Me.
- Although the show was shot digitally on the RED Dragon, a layer of real film grain was applied to help achieve a more vintage look.
- Winona Ryder wanted her hairstyle modeled after Meryl Streep’s hair in Silkwood.
- The title sequence was inspired by the work of Richard Greenberg, who designed a number of classic 80’s title sequences (including Alien, Altered States, Superman, and The Goonies).
- Millie (who plays Eleven) had to shave most of her hair off for the show. As can be expected of any 11 year-old girl, this was a terrifying prospect. The Duffers showed her how cool Charlize Theron looked in Mad Max: Fury Road, after which Millie agreed to it